Can a "Science of Morality" be formulated?

Page 1 of 1
4 posts
Can a "Science of Morality" be formulated?
MattusMaximus
I'd like to suggest the nature of morality as a topic for debate. This, to me, seems to be a major question which underpins so much of what we discuss in our modern society: religion, science, philosophy, lawmaking, etc.

I'd like to suggest the following viewpoints for this debate:

1) No, morality cannot be studied by science, because it is something transcendent (e.g. they come from God)
2) No, morality cannot be studied by science, because science lacks the tools to study it.
3) Yes, science can study morality, as our science has advanced to that point.

I think we could further split #3 into subcategories because some argue that science can only study morality in a relativistic sense, whereas others argue that science can provide an objective basis for morality (i.e. Sam Harris).

As for who to suggest for arguing in this debate, I'm not sure right now. Any ideas?

Cheers - MM
Check out my blog: The Skeptical Teacher
Re: Can a "Science of Morality" be formulated?

Chaos
Another viewpoint could be "science can only assist indirectly in determining morality" - i.e. if, for example, you have come to the moral guideline that you should minimize suffering, science can help define and quantify suffering.

Or would you consider that to be included in (2) or (3)?
MattusMaximus
That's a good angle that I hadn't thought of. Thanks!
Check out my blog: The Skeptical Teacher
Francesca R
I can contribute a viewpoint on morality/ethics.  Probably not one that is widely argued.

Not so much science, more

--Moral philosophies that are seemingly widely differing can be standardised by deductive logic and reasoning, and compared on a single qualitative scale

(This facilitates decision choices in respect of "science, religion, society, lawmaking" etc)
Page 1 of 1